Thursday, July 24, 2008

"Pioneer Children Sweat as They Ran"!

Our Pioneer Day started off early in the morning with the "10K Pioneer Classic" I've been training for. It was a beautiful & sweaty 6 miles. Happy to say that it is over! I'll have to admit, I am a little sore & have a lot more training for my 1/2 marathon in August... wish me luck!
After Steve got home from work, we met Papa & Nana Curtis & some cousins at the Murray City Park for a steak BBQ & all the fixings. Papa brought all of his toys that he makes for a fun filled evening. It's always nice to be with family and loved ones.
The shoes that made it all possible... thanks Dad!

Post race picture with the kids.

One small injury.

Papa Curtis & Chan enjoying the park.

Kate & Steve with Papa's sock rockets. (Steve bragged for 10 minutes how he had the furthest distance in these sock rockets. I told him to stand back and watch. My first throw I tied him. We had a throw off and I beat his record by 10 feet... no competition!)

Kate "trying" to launch a parachute. Look at her technique.









Papa's homemade parachutes & launcher!




Throwing grass in their hair!





Aren't cousins so much fun?... Kate & Catherine!

9 comments:

Cheramie said...

yea, summer, a 10K?! i'm impressed, good for you. congratulations on beating steve in the sock rocket contest, you can remind him of that defeat for years!

Lexa said...

Congrats on finishing the 6 miles! There would of been more injuries than a toe if it was me :) Can't believe how big your kids are now :) Take care!

Lexa

The Nunes' said...

Great Job Soms! You've got to give yourself more credit though, isn't a 10K actually 6.3 miles?!

And as for "Red"... I think he will always hold a special place in the hearts of those who were able to enjoy that wonderful Rocky Point vacation with him!!!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

I lost my toenail playing volleyball a few months ago. It was so painful, and is still ugly! I don't doubt that yours got jacked up when you were running. Bummer! Good thing you still look hot right?

My World said...

I LOVE those parachutes!!! I'm sure the pioneers would be proud that you celebrated with a parachute launch!!!

Marie said...

Excellent job on running the 10k, and even though you got an owie, your toes looked so pretty.

Jen & Blake said...

way to go! and your toes still look great despite the injury. what a fun afternoon w/ rockets! never mess w/ the ladies from the trojan softball team steve, we can out throw/launch anyone!

The Halls said...

Good for you chicky!! I wish I had the endurance to do such things! hope everything is well call me soon!

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO, Sommer! I've got to get my butt back into running shape, even though the half is closed in August--aargh!